The North Allegheny School District provides a program for each student whose dominant language is not English for the purpose of facilitating the student's achievement of English proficiency and all academic standards. The family of each student who enrolls in the District is asked to complete a home language survey. If a student's home language is not English, an English proficiency assessment is given. Students who do not demonstrate English proficiency are scheduled for appropriate English Language Development (ELD) instruction. Questions regarding the ELD program may be referred to the student's assigned school building or the Curriculum and Assessment Department.
The North Allegheny School District has implemented a magnet school model for Multilingual Learner (ML) students. Students will be assigned to a specific school so that services are delivered more effectively. At the elementary level, Franklin Elementary, Marshall Elementary, and McKnight Elementary will be the magnet schools for the elementary ELD Program. In this model, ML students are reassigned to these buildings for all instruction, eliminating shuttle transportation between buildings and loss of instructional time for students. At the middle level, Carson Middle School and Marshall Middle School will be the magnet schools for the middle school ELD Program. ML students from North Allegheny Senior High School will travel to North Allegheny Intermediate School for ELD instruction. When students are exited from the ELD Program and monitored, the student will return to the home school attendance building..
Welcome Message and Information - Presented in multiple languages
ESL Teachers and District Contacts
- Valerie Walters, Coordinator of Professional Learning and Development
- Jaci Defelice Administrative Assistant, Student Services
- Melissa Zarra - McKnight Elementary
- Nicole Carroll - McKnight Elementary
- Sangeetha Ramakrishna - Marshall Elementary
- Emily Otteni - Franklin Elementary
- Amy DeGregorio - Marshall Elementary
- Aliceann Boyle - Carson Middle and Marshall Middle School
- Marcy Marshall - North Allegheny Intermediate and North Allegheny Senior High School