Tunnels with Left Hand and Note Reading
- Form a Tunnel with left hand
- Good King Wenceslas
- Play the D and A string together
WARM UP/ REVIEW:
- Have students play pp. 4-5 so they can feel the beat with the cd
- Ask students to remind you of how many steps there were to get a nice hand position.
- See if there are any students that can play 16 after last week.
- Check to see if students filled in the missing symbols in ex. 16.
- Have students turn to page 8 and see if the students can play Mary Had a Little Lamb.
- When they are done see if anyone wants to play a solo?
- Ask the students if they played it for their parents and if they were able to recognize it?
- Move onto the other songs on p. 8 and see if students can figure out how to change the fingers on the instrument.
- Show them how the finger changes with each note. You can sing the notes first and then play them.
- Students should try to form a tunnel with their left hand fingers.
- Video example of a tunnel
- Place your fingers on the D string and see if they can pluck the A string at the same time.
- Tips on getting a nice hand position so you can form a tunnel:
- Keep fingers curvy
- Try not to touch the A string
- Use only the pad of the finger
- Keep your fingernails cut
- Have a nice space under the instrument (cup of soup or gofer hole)
- Keep wrist pushed out so you can get over the top of the A string
- Move your left elbow under the instrument so you can reach the D string.
- Practice the tunnel with out looking in the book. when students are forming a tunnel have the students look at the top of page 9.
- In exercise 20 they should notice a line or bracket under the staff.
- When they see this line students should keep their fingers down for the duration of the line.
- By forming a tunnel they are able to keep their fingers on the D string and play the open A.
- If there is time get out the bow and have students move their fingers up and down the bow.
- Also have students for a pump with their pinky and practice holding it with thumb and pinky.
Remind students to practice 1 hour a week
Get practice cards signed
Note reading games♪ Treble Clef (violin)- http://www.purposegames.com/game/8dfaa4492c