Bus Stop Guidelines
Board Policy #810 establishes the guidelines for school bus stops.
Elementary and secondary students will be required to walk no more than 3/4 miles from their property to the bus stop or school unless, in the opinion of the Board, a safety condition warrants otherwise.
- Except for locations on roads designated as hazardous, bus stops will be at least 1/4 mile apart.
- The District will comply will all requirements of the "Hazardous Roads" Act.
- The District buses will not travel into streets or roads terminating in a cul-de-sac or dead end, unless required by State regulations.
- District Transportation vehicles will "back up" during their routes only when alternate routes are not feasible for safety or economic reasons.
- Transportation vehicles will be routed in the most efficient manner consistent with safety and State law.
- Subject to other provisions of this policy, bus stops will be established in housing plans having a loop or through streets for only the elementary public and private school students in the morning and afternoon, except where State regulations regarding handicapped and special needs students prevail.
- Buses will not travel into developments when construction equipment, materials or vehicles may block or hinder safe access.
- The Transportation Department will develop a plan annually for eliminating or consolidating bus stops.
If you would like to have a bus stop reviewed or changed, please complete this form and return it to the Transportation Department.