Return to School
During this unprecedented time of change, we know that the 2020-2021 school year will look different and we are implementing health and safety measures to protect our students, staff, and families.
The circumstances related to COVID-19 evolve rapidly, and we will update our plans frequently based on guidance from local, commonwealth, and national guidelines.
NASD to Move to Remote Learning 11/19 - 11/30
The North Allegheny School District will move to remote learning for all students beginning Thursday, November 19 through and including Monday, November 30.
Updates to the Second Quarter Education Plan
- Grades K-12 will return to Hybrid In-Person Learning on Tuesday, December 1.
- To equalize in-person instruction days, the cohort schedule for Tuesday, December 1, through Friday, December 4 will be as follows:
- Tuesday, December 1 & Wednesday, December 2: Cohort 1 will attend In-Person Instruction.
- Thursday, December 3 & Friday, December 4: Cohort 2 will attend In-Person Instruction.
- We will announce plans for December 7 and beyond by Monday, November 30.
- Due to the constantly changing nature of this pandemic, this schedule is subject to change.
- Activities and Athletics may continue unless otherwise communicated.
- NA Cyber Academy instruction will continue.
- School is not in session on Thursday, November 26, and Friday, November 27 in observation of the Thanksgiving holiday.
- All District buildings will be closed to the public beginning Monday, November 23, and will reopen on Monday, November 30.
Since the start of the 2020-2021 school year, it has been North Allegheny’s goal to maximize the time students have with their teachers while minimizing the risk of spreading COVID-19. While we believe that students benefit from In-Person Instruction, there is a rising health and safety risk due to the community spread of COVID-19 as documented in the data below.
Allegheny County Data
North Allegheny is continuing to monitor the COVID-19 data in Allegheny County. As of Monday, November 16, over the last seven days there have been 2,870 COVID-19 cases in Allegheny County, and 4,730 COVID-19 cases have been recorded in Allegheny County in the month of November. These numbers also show a rise in the number of COVID-19 cases in children, teens, and hospitalizations.
As of Friday, November 13, Allegheny County was moved to the substantial risk category. This means the county has more than 100 new cases per 100,000 residents over a seven day period, or a percent positivity rate above 10 percent over seven days. Allegheny County has had 100 new cases per 100,000 in a seven day period.
Local Municipality Data
In the municipalities we serve there is an increased positivity rate. Positivity rate is defined as the percentage of all coronavirus tests taken that are actually positive over a seven-day period. Our cumulative percent positivity rate for the municipalities that NASD serves is above 10 percent over seven days (November 4-10).
North Allegheny School District Data
As compared to the county and municipalities we serve, North Allegheny School District has also seen a rise in COVID-19 cases within the District.
COVID-19 Cases in NASD by Month
Based on our contact tracing, and after consultation with the Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD), we do not have any indication that these cases are connected or that COVID-19 is spreading within the District. We are seeing a spike in both students and staff needing to quarantine due to outside positive cases (i.e. a member of the household tests positive, they were around a positive individual at an off-campus gathering). This has resulted in a lack of staff and therefore challenges with covering classrooms and bus routes.
Remote Learning Instructions
- On Thursday, November 19, all in-person students will move to full-remote learning.
- Log onto classes via Blackboard and participate in instruction for each course.
Meal Pick Up
- Meal pick up will be available on Wednesday, November 18. This form needs to be completed by noon on Tuesday, November 16. Meals may be picked up on Wednesday at NASH between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. for remote learning days November 19 and November 20. A separate form will be sent out to families for upcoming meal pick up dates.
- The District will continue to monitor positive cases in the District and county.
- In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, NASD will not communicate any new cases from Wednesday, November 25 at 3:00 p.m. through Friday, November 27 at noon.
There is no simple solution to manage public education in this pandemic. There are many unknowns and the situation changes daily. We know that changes to the instructional model impact our families in different ways, so we wanted to allow both our families and staff time to plan for the full-remote instructional model. Please watch for official announcements from the District. We are committed to timely communication and changes will be announced as they occur.
Second Quarter Instructional Learning Plan - October 6, 2020
On Monday, October 5, the North Allegheny Board of School Directors approved modifications to the instructional learning phase for the second quarter during a special voting meeting.
Approved items include:
- A recommendation to change the In-Person Instruction phase (currently Hybrid) for grades K-5 to be Full-time In-Person Instruction beginning on Wednesday, November 4.
- A recommendation to change the In-Person Instruction phase (currently Hybrid) phase for grades 6-8 to be Full-time In-Person Instruction beginning on Monday, November 16.
Students in grades 9-12 will remain in the Hybrid phase of the In-Person instruction option while the District explores ways to bring those students back to school full-time.
The end of the first quarter for grades 6-12 will move from November 10 to November 11, and the second quarter begins on Monday, November 16, 2020.
North Allegheny Cyber Academy will continue to be an option for those who desire a fully remote learning experience.
Today, Tuesday, October 6, parents/guardians will receive an email with a link to enroll students in an instruction option for the second quarter. Parents/guardians can choose between In-Person Instruction or remote learning through NA Cyber Academy. The deadline to complete this enrollment selection is Sunday, October 11.
- Parents/guardians will receive an individual email and link for each student currently enrolled in North Allegheny School District buildings, including NACA.
- The enrollment deadline is Sunday, October 11.
- A response is required for all students, even if you are electing to remain in your current school.
- Once enrolled, students will not be able to choose another instructional option until re-registration opens for the 3rd quarter on December 10.
To help inform decisions, the District has created a presentation for parents/guardians: