Education for Homeless Youth
About Homeless Act-McKinney Vento Act
The McKinney–Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act guarantees a free and appropriate public education for all homeless children and youth. B.E.C. 42 U.S.C. 11431 outlines procedures for deciding school placement, enrolling students, and determining responsibility. Federal and state laws make our responsibility clear.
McKinney-Vento Act Basics At-a-Glance
What is the definition of a “homeless youth” under McKinney-Vento?
“Homeless” is defined as “anyone lacking a fixed, adequate, regular nighttime residence.”
What situations fit this definition?
- Staying in the home of other people due to unavailable housing, financial hardship, or similar circumstances
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks (in some instances – examples: leaking roof, no heat, etc.), public places, or campgrounds due to unavailable suitable housing options
- Living in an emergency shelter or transitional housing
- Unaccompanied (not living in direct care of legal parent or guardian) or runaway youth
- Refugee and migrant youth
How does McKinney-Vento help these students?
The law makes sure that these students receive a free and suitable public education by removing barriers to school enrollment and full, basic, daily participation in school activities. This includes:
- Immediate enrollment
- Free and Reduced School Lunch
- Help from school with any necessary enrollment documents
- Help from school setting up transportation service
- Help from school with getting basic uniform clothing
- Help from school with basic school supplies
- Help from school with any basic clothing needs
- Help from school with basic high school graduation needs and expenses
If you believe that your child may qualify for this service, please contact Dr. James Bradley, Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Education and McKinney-Vento Homeless Liaison for the District (412-369-5896).
School Board Policy - Homeless Policy -251
CHIP 1-800-KIDS-101 (free and low cost health insurance for kids
PA CareerLink 717-183-6238