Honors English 3
Summer Reading List and Assignment for 2018-2019
Mrs. Walters and Ms. Yakich
If you plan on taking Honors English in your junior year, a summer reading/assignment is required for the start of the school year. Please choose any two books* from the list below.
*Acquiring copies of the books is the responsibility of the student.
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close Jonathan Safron Foer
1984 George Orwell
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest Ken Kesey
The Lord of the Flies William Golding
Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain
Into the Wild Jon Krakauer
The Kite Runner Khaled Hosseini
The Help Kathryn Stockett
Anthem Ayn Rand
The House on Mango Street Sandra Cisneros
Journal Assignment: On Monday 8/27/18 (3rd day of school), a journal assignment must be submitted on Google Drive:
YOUR ASSIGNMENT is to create a small collage using Google Docs to represent the novels that you read (both of them in one journal). Your collage must meet the following requirements:
- Title of books & names of authors (prominently displayed)
- Five words from each of the books (10 total) that were new to you, or that you found interesting and their definitions with the page number from the novel.
- Ten sentences using the words you chose from above
- 7 images representing different scenes from the novels. Title each image, and then provide a paragraph as to how these images represent the scene from the novel.
- Provide 1 quote from the novel with each individual image.
You will complete a timed, in-class essay during the second week of school based on literary devices used by the author of your selected novels.*
* In anticipation of the required essay, review the writing rubric for expository writing:
Questions: Mrs. Christine Walters firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Kristin Yakich email@example.com
*A copy of this can be accessed on Mrs.Walters’ website through the NASH homepage.