Honors English 3
Summer Reading List and Assignment for 2020-2021
Mrs. Walters and Ms. Yakich
If you plan on taking Honors English in your junior year, a summer reading/assignment is required for the start of the school year. Please choose any TWO books* from the list below.
*Acquiring copies of the books is the responsibility of the student.
Sula by Toni Morrison
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
Journal Assignment: On Friday 9/11/2020 (4th day of school), a presentation assignment must be submitted on Google Drive: (Copy and Paste the shareable link on BB)
YOUR ASSIGNMENT is to create a presentation using Google Slides to represent the novels that you read (both of them in one google slides document). Your presentation must meet the following requirements:
- Slide 1: Title of books & names of authors (prominently displayed)
- Slide 2: Five words from novel 1 that were new to you, or that you found interesting and their definitions with the page number from the novel.
- Slide 3: Five words from novel 2 that were new to you, or that you found interesting and their definitions with the page number from the novel.
- Slide 4: Ten sentences using the words you chose from above
- Slides 5-12: 4 images from novel 1 & 4 images from novel 2 representing different scenes from the novels. (Use a slide per image).
- For each slide, title each image, and provide justification in a few sentences (more than 3-4 sentences) as to how EACH image represents the scene from the novel.
- Provide 1 quote from the novel with each individual image and provide a page number.
You will complete a timed, in-class essay during the second week of school based on literary devices used by the author of your selected novels.*
* In anticipation of the required essay, review the writing rubric for expository writing:
Questions: Mrs. Christine Walters firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Kristin Yakich email@example.com
*A copy of this can be accessed on Mrs.Walters’ and Ms. Yakich’s website through the NASH homepage.