Applications for the Fall 2019 Guest Substitute Teacher Program are being accepted now through July 31, 2019. Successful candidates will be invited to attend a mandatory program orientation on September 17, 2019.
This opportunity is for non-certified individuals only. If you hold a PA Teaching Certification, you must register with the Northern Area Substitute Teacher Service Consortium.
Guest Substitute Teacher FAQ
What qualifications do I need to become a Guest Substitute Teacher?
A successful candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree in any area of study from an accredited college or university in the U.S. and meet all other eligibility requirements throughout the training process.
What is a Guest Substitute Teacher?
A guest substitute teacher is a day-to-day substitute teacher who has met the eligibility requirements to have an emergency permit issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Education due to the shortage of qualified substitute teachers in the State. An emergency permit allows a substitute to teach in a certain district(s) for one school year. Permits can be reissued at the District’s discretion for subsequent years.
Does a bachelor’s degree from outside the U.S. qualify?
If an individual was educated outside of the U.S. then an evaluation of transcripts must be submitted with the application. To obtain information about the evaluation process, please visit the Pennsylvania Department of Education website at www.education.pa.gov.
How can I become a Guest Substitute Teacher with North Allegheny School District?
Guest Substitute Training Programs are held periodically. In order to be considered for an upcoming program, complete an online application through Applicant Tracking on NASD’s website. Only qualified candidates will be invited to interview with NASD Administrators and join the next available program.
What does the Training Program include?
- A one-day orientation held within NASD
- Two four-hour classroom observations to be arranged by and within NASD
- Materials for substitute teacher online training course (takes approximately 10 hours to complete independently)
How much does a Guest Substitute Teacher earn?
NASD substitute teachers earn $90 per day for the first 90 non-consecutive days and $110 per day thereafter for the current school year.
How much does the Guest Substitute Training Program cost?
The cost of the program is $125 to cover the materials and online course. After substituting a total equal to 10 working days in NASD as a guest substitute, you may notify the Human Resources Department to receive a full reimbursement of funds.
What eligibility requirements must a candidate meet?
Below is a complete list of eligibility requirements that must be met before North Allegheny School District will issue an emergency permit. An emergency permit will be valid for one school year and only within North Allegheny School District.
- Online Application
- Cover Letter
- Three Letters of Reference
- Official Undergraduate Transcript
- Substitute teacher training course certificate with a passing score of at least 85%
- General Application for Pennsylvania Certificate Form PDE 338G
- School Personnel Health Record and TB Test by U.S. licensed medical professional
- Act 168 Forms Sexual Misconduct/Abuse Disclosure Release
- Act 34 Pennsylvania Criminal History Record Check
- Act 151 Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- Act 114 Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI fingerprinting)
- Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form
- Act 126/31 Mandated Reporter Training: Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse
- Emergency Permit
- Check made payable to NASD for $125
- Registration and appointment with Northern Area Substitute Teacher Service Consortium