Third Grade Robust Vocabulary Words: Theme 6
– If something is bristly, it is covered with short, stiff hairs.
– If something is dreadful, it is scary or terrible.
– If someone is adamant about something, he or she is very determined and won’t change his or her mind about it.
– Is something is inevitable, it cannot be avoided or stopped.
– If you are summoning someone, you are calling for the person to come.
– Something or someone that bothers you can be a nuisance.
– If you have a sedentary job or lifestyle, you are sitting down most of the time.
– When you oblige someone, you help the person.
– Someone who is boasting is telling other people wonder things about
himself or herself.
– When things sway, they swing slowly back and forth.
Spiders and Their Webs
– If you treat others fairly, you are showing justice.
– A task is a job that needs to be done.
– Something that is elaborate is decorated with many details.
–A person who creates or solves something in a new way is inventive.
– An animal that is hunted for food is prey.
– Something shallow is not very deep.
– Long, thin pieces of something are strands.
– A social animal is one that lives in a group with other animals of the same kind.
– A spiral shape curls around and a round in a circle.
– A person reels something in by winding up a line attached to it.
The Science Fair
– When you have a sense of humor, it means you enjoy telling and hearing about things that are funny.
- If you go abroad, you go overseas to a different country.
– Preparation is everything you do to get ready for something.
– A gimmick is a trick or a way to grab people’s attention.
– Something that has been sprinkled has had tiny pieces or drops of something scattered all over it.
- When things expand, they get bigger.
- Something that erupts breaks out of something that holds it in.
- If you do something in a thorough way, you do a careful and complete job.
- Deliberation is thought and discussion that comes before making a decision.
– If something is grainy, it is not smooth but has many small, hard pieces.
– When there are several similar but separate objects, the objects are said to be distinct.
– When something happens slightly, you can barely tell it happened.
– When there is so much of something that it cannot be measured, it is infinite.
– Something that is expansive covers a very large area.
– Something that rotates spins like a top.
– A light that is steady always looks the same and does not change or go out.
– When something reflects light, the light bounces off the surface
instead of passing through it.
- The surface of something is the top part of it.
– Evidence is proof that something has happened.
– How something appears is the way it looks or seems to be.
Voyage Across the Solar System
– When you magnify something, you make it look larger than it actually is.
– If you observed something, you watched it carefully to learn more about it.
– To generate something is to produce it.
- When you can prove something is correct, you can confirm it.
- Something that is picturesque is pretty enough to be in a picture.
- To safeguard something is to protect and guard it.
- An expedition is an adventure or a journey to a new place.
- If an area is uncharted, there are no maps of that place.
– When two things are aligned, they match up perfectly.
– When something occurs, it happens.