Third Grade Robust Vocabulary Words: Theme 3
If you had a terrible shock or surprise that made you faint or fall, you might have swooned.
- When you are amazed and surprised by something, you are astonished.
-An encouraging word from a friend can make you feel that you can do something well.
- If something is brief, it does not take much time.
- If you are chuckling, you are laughing quietly to yourself.
- Something that is soothing makes you feel calm.
Someone who sobbed cried very hard.
-If you praised someone, you told that person that he or she did something well.
- If you feel envious, you want something that someone else has.
- People who have a rivalry are competing against each other for something.
"A Pen Pal for Max"
If you have figured out a message that is difficult to understand or that is written in code, then you have deciphered it.
If you are wrong about something, you are mistaken.
If you translate something, you say or write it in another language.
When something needs repairs, it needs to be fixed.
Heaving is throwing something heavy with great effort.
When something is bothersome, it bothers you and causes problems
If there is a din, there is so much noise that it is hard to hear anything over it.
When you are dodging something, you avoid something that is coming toward you.
- A catastrophe is something really terrible that has happened.
- If you are fortunate, you are very lucky.
"A Tree Is Growing"
- If you tugged something, you pulled it hard.
If you paused, you stopped what you were doing for just a moment.
- A column is a tall, circular structure that holds up part of a building.
- Something absorbs a liquid if it soaks up the liquid.
When you protect something, you keep it safe.
When objects are rustling, they are moving and making soft sound.
- When something dissolves, it mixes completely with a liquid.
Tiny pieces of something are called particles.
An animal is a scavenger if it collects leftover and unwanted objects.
- If something is self-sufficient, it makes everything it needs.
"One Small Place in a Tree"
When something sprouts, it begins to grow.
If something is damp, it is a little bit wet.
- When you suppose something, you think that it is happening or that it is going to happen.
A bird will try to roost, or settle, in trees or on branches.
- If someone spears something, he or she sticks something sharp through it.
-When something strikes people, it hits them or happens to them.
- When you get a glimpse of something, you get only a quick peek at it.
- If you are in a maze, you are in winding paths that are like a puzzle.
- If someone or something has gone through a transformation, it has been changed.
If two things are living in harmony, they are living in agreement, living peacefully.
"Ask the Experts"
Something that is luscious appeals to your senses, such as your sense of taste.
- If someone has expertise, he or she knows a lot about a particular topic or skill
- An issue is an edition of a newspaper or magazine.
- If you give someone advice, you tell what you think the person should do.
- When you consult someone, you ask him or her for information.
- When you recommend something, you tell someone that you think it is good.
- Someone who is sensible makes good decisions and judgments.
- To devise is to figure out a way to do something.
- If you send correspondence, you are communicating in writing.
If you shudder, you are trembling from fear or from being cold.